Thursday, September 11, 2008

Walden Two, B.F. Skinner

I heard about this book from the last Psychology classes I took with my favorite psych professor, Dr. Wann. Skinner, of course, was a well-known behavioral psychologist. The fact that it was a novel and not a textbook interested me, so I put it on my list. I came across it in the PC lounge and figured why not? I think it was in the lounge that I learned there’s also a book called Walden, written by Thoreau. Sounds impressive, though I had no idea what it was about (yep, I’m that sheltered). I come to learn that both books revolve around the idea of a utopian society – Thoreau’s sounds maybe more philosophical? But Skinner’s Walden Two features a utopian-based society driven by behavior engineering.

Now, immediately, that subject is aversive, right? It just seems without sentiment, cold, harsh and robotic. I was pleased to read, though that the concept and story was done in such a way, you weren’t picking an argument with the story the whole way through. As the group of six takes a several day tour of Walden Two, the name of the compound/campus/facility, the reader experiences the entirety of the society as the visitors do. And, all relevant issues/hang ups/etc. are bought forth and discussed. The work force, how the society is not really democratic, though not a dictatorship, either. The main character weighs all he has seen in his days there, and in a surprising or not-so-surprising ending, chooses to accept that way of life as his own and joins Walden Two. Fascinating to ponder.

No comments: