Thursday, April 1, 2010

The grass is always greener...

Sometimes I resent the influence the NGO has in my community. Sometimes I wish I could have come into the community, starting from scratch. Sometimes I wish I had to work with only the bare minimum of materials.

Sometimes it feels like my NGO overshadows the village. Sometimes it feels like the change the NGO has made on the community wasn't a toe into the edge of the water, slowly seeping in, but a plopped rock right in the middle, disturbing the stillness of the lake, making these new, unfounded ripples, and the lake carrying forward after the plop, accommodating fine enough, but makes you wonder what the changes would have been like if it was the toe in approach.

Sometimes I think that there are TOO many resources here. That I'd rather have just one story book to work with, not 7,000 titles. I hate how the excess of resources results in them being so casually regarded/discarded.

Whereas, most of my peers are struggling to get that one storybook, that one set of crayons and cardboards. They hear about or see where I am, and desire, proclaiming my luck in assignments. I agree with them, but still sometimes envy them for THEIR surroundings.

No comments: