Friday, August 20, 2010

Oh, Johnny


Goo Goo Dolls. Live. Amanda and I. Whoa. Unknown life’s desire fulfilled.

Music is so… moving, connecting. I was so in awe to be around music being expressed skillfully and passionately by all three bands (a band from Texas, Green River Ordnance, and then Switchfoot, opened the concert), I could fell the pump and rush of their beats and sound in my chest, my spirit moved with their rhythms and melodies. Their love for making music and sharing music resounded with mine, and it occurred to me that music really does have the power to unite us all.

The musicians, the audience, all share a mutual love, a mutual pull, pleasure and passion for the same thing. We all sat/stood there, absorbing those melodies, joining in on them, even, and letting it take each of us to a joyous state of being. It's a whole other connection with the universe than what I experience in Guyana, but no less amazing.

Johnny Reznik, a mere 100 yards away, in all his vocal, lyrical and personal wonder. “Tonight is our night,” he said. Earlier, the lead from Switchfoot said a similar thing: “Thanks for sharing the night with us; it’s a beautiful night to be alive.” That sort of contentment is a state of mind worth absorbing and sharing in.

Switchfoot played a great set, but I wish GGD’s played longer. They did cover all the hits like – “Name,” “Iris,” –a MUST - started with “Big Machine” and ended with “Broadway” – though I selfishly wished for “Sympathy” and/or “Before It’s Too Late.” Played 4 or 5 from their new album coming out right before I go back, called Something for the Rest of Us.

It was wonderful to get so excited about something, to be worked up (positively), eager, intense, invested. I’ve been like that watching Lost, too. I am so easy-going and can enjoy most things with little preference, but at times, having one strong inclination is good to feel. I love, follow, am obsessive and defensive of the TV show Lost and the band Goo Goo Dolls. Yep. So great to share that love with Amanda, too. We had a great night.

No comments: