Friday, September 17, 2010

An Afternoon Lime

Heading to Shaira's
"Miss! da da da da da?"
-"What does that mean?"
"'Where are you going, Miss?'"
-"Oh, how do you say "I am going?'"
"da da dada da."
-"da da dada da.... Shaira's.... you'll have to teach that to me again on Monday."

Walking from Shaira's, across an area of bow and arrow target practice, at Maureen's and Clifton's
"Come, come!"
(I don't come, but wait, as a man puts a bow into place; he shoots his three -)
"Come, come!"
(I quickly cross the area, go safely into Aunt Maureen's kitchen. After catching up with Lorrie, drinking a cup of lime juice and getting three small lukanani, I go on my way, passing the archers.)
-"Make sure you don't hit me, I'm not a deer! Hows the practice?"
"We are making progress."

At Alice's shop
"I love how you are teaching my daughter, you are teaching her to speak proper English, we love you........"
-"Thank you, I try."
"I love you, I want to marry you, Miss."
-Cane' cane' cane'! (no!)

"You got fat, Miss Sarah!"

From Alice's, passing through Vilma's, encountering a passing, stumbling uncle
"You can read Peter to me? Second Peter?"
-"Sure, if you want."
--"That's not a Bible!"
"You will read Luke to me?"
-"Sure, if that's a Bible."
(it's not a Bible, it's a hymn book)
"Ok, I will come by you.... in the Garden of Eden."

Heading home... at the phone booth
"Hey, Sarah! How far you go?"
-"Just been liming about."

...On the football field
"What are you doing?" "You will come to Katoka?"
-"No, I can't. You all ready to beat Katoka tomorrow?????..... No one????
--"Yeah!"
-"Thanks, Rosita, at least SHE's ready to beat Katoka."

...Coming 'pon' the house
-"Heyo, neighbor!"
"Yo, yo!!"

No comments: