Saturday, April 30, 2011

Language Barriers

I sometimes regret not learning Makushi, the native language spoken down here. I've never HAD to; everyone can understand me and reply to me in English. ESL is trying to be taught down here.

But I wonder - how much more LIFE would reveal itself to me, if I knew the language?

Casual liming evokes Makushi, village meetings change into Makushi, so does church. Ladies' mutterings are in Makushi. Children's retorts are in Makushi.

How much more would I be integrated, know the better way to go about doing something, or understanding why the things are the way they are?

I don't think I should, nor do I want to, fully integrate to the point of becoming someone I am not, but I wish I were more... a member of my village.

Did I just say that?

No comments: