Monday, September 28, 2009

Harvest Day

Yesterday was Harvest Day here in the village. I missed it last year, and so I wasn't sure what it was exactly. It's a church fundraiser, though, where they bring donations, not to sell, but for people to bid on. First, though, Father Rogers was here, and we had a complete service. He came by me earlier in the morning, asking me to preach after he reads the Gospel. Preach. Not "make some comments," or "give a speech," but "preach." :/ Umm.... ok. I've definitely had opportunities to exercise myself with public speaking here; I'm always being asked to say prayers or say some things at village events. I've got a standard blessing I'll say for all those celebrating birthdays, and then with addressing school kids, I've developed the habit of asking the kids to repeat back what I just said ("You will put the books back on the shelves, ok? What will you do? Put the books back where? -on the shelves. - Yes!") Then, I've been working on speaking slowly so everyone can understand me as best as possible since English is a second language here, and then I'm trying to be aware of how much I talk with my hands. Definite practice in the art of communication. But.... preaching?

I've stood up and spoke once before at church service, and that was entirely unexpected and spur of the moment; the catechist was saying his words, mostly in Makushi, and so my mind was wandering, but I became aware that he had stopped talking and was looking at me. I probably blushed, but then looked politely confused as Maisie kindly told me that the guy asked me to say something. Maisie had done her impromptu sermon for the day already, telling the congregation how we need to bring more people to church. In a flash of divine inspiration, I opened the Bible to John 15, and read about how Jesus describes himself as the tree, us as the branches, and the grapes, the fruit of our labor. I get most of the youths to come up and make them into a tree - if Karen tells Jason about God and Jason tells Ronson about God and Ronson tells Caroline about God, and then Caroline tells both Jelissa and Melissa about God and Jelissa tells Salman and Merissa and Melissa tells .... we're all connected and we can branch out. I was pleased with how it went, and the visual and manual work of making the tree I think helped the kids (and adults) catch the metaphor better. It was an impromptu success.

Father Rogers' Gospel yesterday was from Matthew 6, about how we shouldn't worry about food or clothes, that the Lord will provide and we should not spend time worrying about the two. I was nervous about it and wished I had more time to think on it... but it was fun to think of sharing my own spin on what the message is. And to bring the words more to life than just monotonously reading the scripture, as is done a lot here. My passion about the Good News... I was pleased to find I could share it with others. It felt like I wasn't just sharing a piece of the Bible, but sharing my feelings for Him, too, hoping that my passion might draw others to share in the passion. There were several things I thought of to share in reference to this one passage - personal examples, other scripture that ties into it, etc. - but I tried to keep it basic and focused. I forgot some things I wanted to say, but overall, I felt good about it, felt fulfilled, felt proud, and ... exited for God. I prayed beforehand that God would speak through me, not let it be about my words. I think/hope that happened, and I think that's why I wasn't so nervous. I don't think I've had such a pure pride for something like this in awhile. I tend to shrug off things like this, and let insecurity and humility overrule, but this was a genuine pride. Perhaps because I know it wasn't for me alone. I dunno, it was neat.

I pointed to the table full of items the people had donated for the auction. I said how it was nice to see such an abundant harvest, but that there is scripture that says "man cannot live by bread alone." "Bread" can mean Auntie Junita's delicious fresh baked bread.... or the flat cakes of cassava bread there on the table... or any other kind of food. There is food hunger, our bellies can be empty, but there is also spiritual hunger, and our souls/hearts can be just as hungry. I meant to point out the other scripture from John, where Jesus says "I am the bread of life, he who comes to me shall not hunger," but I forgot. Jesus will fill us up, and He will also provide if we let him. And sometimes less is more, we appreciate it better. I hope I didn't use too many verses and Godly cliches. I love Matthew 5-7, and the importance on not focusing or worrying too much about worldly things is a point that I still marvel over and am eager to talk about with others. Physical discomfort is so temporary. Physical pleasure, too, for that matter. Realizing there is more, much more, out there that is good and eternal... especially when it can be so easy to look around us and despair...

I remember when I went to Nicaragua for that week, and we were doing dental work on people and giving bags of rice and beans. We began to worry that we couldn't sufficiently provide aid for these people and it seemed hopeless. Talking about it one night, we all really worked ourselves up into a ball of worry - until one voice of faith called out from our group and pointed out that, in truth, we may not be able to provide food for their bellies next week, or dental service for their next cavity, but that's why it's so important to reach them with the Word of God, so that they may find eternal life - a life that will not be plagued by physical pain or hunger. Oh yeah..... This realization was very significant to me at the time and I've carried it with me since. I was happy to share this with my village yesterday, too. I don't know if I'll ever fully understand/fulfill this point, but I am aware.

The Harvest itself was very enjoyable. Halfway through I realized I should have gone for my camera - I still could have gone for it, actually. I was a bit lazy for go, but just thinking about what pictures I'd be taking if I had the camera was rewarding - it let me appreciate the moment. Looking at each person as they smiled, scolded a child, offered a drink to someone, just sat there, picked their nose... I tried imprinting their faces and the setting into my mind. Remembering the breeze, the play of light across the market, the cari sitting in recycled 2 liter pop bottles, the stacks of cassava cakes ready to be auctioned. My adoration for my village is for its utter personality. It's a great village, don't get me wrong; progressive, friendly, open, humorous and all that, but that's not why I adore them. I adore them because they are simply them. The long beautiful plaits of black hair, the fancy Easter dresses that are torn, worn, missing bows but make the little girls look beautiful at church service, how people share so much with each other - most of the things auctioned off were foodstuffs, and most were opened right there and shared around, from cari to bananas to biscuits - the jokes they tell in Makushi that I have NO idea what the punchline is let alone the set up, and then how they'll all laugh about it afterwards. Shaira and nursing Delvan, Bob and his too big flashy shirt tucked into his jeans, Maisie being polite to some drunk guy sitting on the bench next to her, any and all upon eating tangerines, the way they spit the seeds back into their palms. It’s so fun just watching everyone, it felt like getting a camera would ruin it.

Then there was the actual auctioning. Former Toshao Kenneth was the auctioneer, Bob Park was the hander outer and Franzea and Vanisa were the cashiers and secretaries. I chimed in on the second item, bidding for a cake of cassava bread, another staple made from the cassava root. It’s formed into a disc-like shape the size of a manhole and you can eat it with butter or peanut butter, or use it to soak up the gravy/broth in pepper pots and toma pots. I have farine in my house at all times, but rarely get cassava bread. I won the first disc. I also bid on and won some oranges, some smoked pepper and jumped in to bid on bananas, but never followed through on them. In retrospect, I really should have bid on more and given more back to the community – so many people just GIVE me fruits, veggies, fish and other staples for FREE an I hardly have to spend any money in the village. Again, though, it was fun just watching. Though admittedly, there was the thrill of winning an item. The best battle was between Lucy and some Auntie, who were bidding on a cake of cassava bread and it went to $1,100 Guyanese dollars (about USD$5). I asked someone how much a cake normally costs and it was only $200. Fun. The church raised about $27,000, and with more donations to make it even, they got $31,000. It was a fun, clean afternoon with my village.

No comments: