Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Lesson in Sensuality


I don’t know if I can exactly explain it, but I’ll try. Sensuality, mind you, not sexuality. Aunt Junita was practicing some kids to do a Heritage celebration that happened today. She’s invited me to come watch them practice, and it was only Monday, passing back from a birthday lunch, that I did. (I think it’s so great that she’s doing this, btw. Yup didn’t do their own Heritage celebration this month and she got some skits and songs together with the help of her daughter.) I caught the end of some skit being done in Makushi that seemed amusing but of course, I didn’t get it. Then four girls get up to practice their song. Shirley, Alisha, around 15; Ena, around 13; and Merisa, around 11, get up to this Caribbean song and basically wine the entire time. But they wine WELL. (Wining, for those of you who don’t know is hip revolutions, mostly done at slow or medium speed). At first, I was just shocked at seeing such confidence and such skill, then I was like “Um, aren’t they a little young to be shaking it that hard?” Then I figure “Oh Guyana…”

But then I’m watching Merisa, who easily was the most skilled of the four – and the youngest. Merisa is in 5th grade and is a star pupil. With Miss Maisie’s skilled instruction last year, she was one of the students who really participated in drama activities, who definitely was at the top of her class (and Maisie is a thorough teacher with high expectations), who is a regular book-borrower at the library (and actually reads and comprehends the books, not to mention takes care of the books she borrows). Her mother, Rena, who’s been back in the village for a couple months now, was teaching the girls, so I guess it’s easy to see where Merisa gets it from.

Merisa was moving herself in utter skill, comfort and confidence, and in a way that was in no way ostentatious or inappropriate. She wasn’t shaking it in a way that said “Look at me, aren’t I sexy?” it was an “I feel the rhythm and like to dance.” She’s not the kind of girl that would show off or act too big for her britches. She simply was comfortable with her body and confident in her expression. She knows her body can be moved in a beautiful way and knows how to move her body in a beautiful way. I found myself staring at her, attracted to her singing body. Does that sound inappropriate? I don’t mean it to. As a whole, the group’s dancing caught my eye as endearing, if not beautiful and I was quite envious of their skill and confidence. And yeah, a little shocked to see such parading.

So, I was taught that perceiving your body as beautiful is not just about immodesty/showing off, but about being natural. And, if I took enough mental notes, perhaps I was taught how to shake it a little better. ;)

No comments: