Thursday, May 6, 2010

Loved Ones ARE Always With Us

Just the other night, I was making popcorn and my Dad was with me.

I was listening to Plain White Tees and Devon was with me.

I was scratching a mosquito bite and Tony was with me (he used to have excema and scratched a lot, I remember the sound).

I say "You bet" here, and think of Dad and Mom; it's something he has said for years.

I feel a compulsion to clean out the sink, and think of Mom who would insist that when you 'did the dishes,' you cleaned the counters, sink, the works. I always fought it before I came here - now I get it.

It occurred to me, somewhere in the last 6 months, that through memories, and incidents shared, tendencies shared, they can be with you, even when they aren't WITH you. It was a comforting discovery. Loved ones are as big a part of our identity as anything.

No comments: