Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Ritual

On my coffee cup of vanilla latte I got at Rituals Cafe as I waited for the flight from Trinidad to Panama City, it read:

"The Perfect Cup. There is much to be said about the ritual of preparing a good cup of coffee. What is your ritual?"

This is my ritual.

I heat some water in a smll saucepan to boiling - just enough water for one cup - and turn off the stove and throw in Marata, Brazilian brand coffee, into the pan to steep a few minutes, probably more than 2 tablespoons, but definitely enugh to cover the top with color and leave a significant mound above the water.

While water steeps (covered by some lid) I make some milk - one scoop of powedered milk to make about a 1/4th cup of milk. I make it a little richer than regular milk. At this time, I also prepare my coffee cup and strainer, which is my 2nd biggest plastic strainer with the coarser-holed mesh, the one that fits right over/in the cup, and I put half a napkin into it.

I get some tap water in my coffee cup, remove the lid fro the pan and splash the cooler water over the steeped coffee, to get the grounds to settle at the bottom. After putting the strainer over the cup, I pour the coffee into it, the combo of the napkin and coarse mesh make it go pretty fast.

I add the milk and raw sugar, amounts depending on my prefernce of the day - for a Real Coffee wow, I use a spalsh of milk and one scoop of sugar, for a warm, smooth, coffee-ish beverage, I use ´nuff spashes of milk and two scoops sugar. Mmm.

Its best if had with toast and in a hammock. The quiet, cool, newly sunkissed morning never felt so good.

What´s your ritual?

2 comments:

MArty said...

Not as elaborate as yours .... two overly heaping scoops (probably equal to three full scoops) of a mix of 50% caffeinated and 50% de-caffeinated coffee into the paper filter and 12 cups of water into the coffee maker, set to brew "Strong" at 6:00am the next morning. Adding a teaspoon of sugar, my first mug of coffee in the morning is my wake-up cup. My second cup is a travel-mug-full for my 15 minute trip to work. I love my coffee!

Darlene A said...

OK, now my ritual is not based on preparing the coffee, as I do not, but it's all based on senses. If I am completly awake I can hear the beep in the kitchen exclaiming that the coffee brewing is done. When I open my bedroom door and head down the hall I start to smell that wonderful and inviting aroma. (As I have grown older I appreciate a stronger brew.) In the kitchen and finding MY mug I pour the dark coffee with just a teaspoon tip of sugar. I do not taste that first sip until seated at a dining table chair in spring/summer or living room with morning news in winter. AAAHHHH another beautiful start to a new day!!