Saturday, March 20, 2010

Confessions of a PCV:

I think this is one of the more typical 'confessions' of PCVs around but...

I sometimes feel guilty for getting more out of this than I feel I am giving. It feels like I am truly getting so much more. Seriously. It's like I don't even want to divulge how I'm benefitting because Peace Corps would pull me out or shut down if they realized how much fun I'm (we're) having.

Do people know how fun it is?
Do people know how much I am learning? How HANDS-ON I am learning and doing?
Do people know how close I become to people, how they are regarded as dearest friends?
Do people know how much freedom I have to work with people? I can be a nursery teacher, a librarian, a coach, a fisherwoman, a hostess, a cook, a drama teacher, an MC, a computer techie, a writer, a photographer...
Do people know how many exotic animals I get to see and touch?
Do people know that a hammock is a major part of my day?
Do people know job satisfaction is considered reading to a child, seeing a child read to themselves, having a child produce artwork, seeing someone speak up when it's needed, watching a co-worker take initiative for the first time, singing with children?
Do people know how self-esteem boosting it feels to have people tell you every day how they want you around and are helping?
Do people know how laughing has become as natural as breathing?
Do people know how provided for I am?

If they only knew... You won't tell, will you?

No comments: