Friday, February 6, 2009

I Shoulda Been a Lawyer, Honestly

So check this out; Admin of PC/Guyana sent me an email in which they requested input on the possibilities of remote PCVs (volunteers in remote locations) riding on the back of motorcycles. They ask, "Can you tell me how you think that this might impact your life if you were allowed to do this; mentally, emotionally and any other way?"

Why, yes, I can.

Now, this has been something we PCV's have been sort of bitter about. Whether or not we have given into the temptation, I cannot say, *ahem*, though I have a feeling our inner children are emerging, and whining "But I wanna ride the motobike!" is not all we've done. But if some fancy fingerwork is something that'd get this policy to change, I am all over that. I can persuade my ass off, if in the right mood. So here's my two cents >>>>

Wow, Anne, it cheers me to hear you are researching the possibilities. I can think of several benefits to being allowed to ride on the back of motorbikes.

Logistically, it'd help even more with integration - everyone rides bikes down here, everyone takes rides from those who own them - except the PCV. Those owning vehicles are few and far between, and cabs and mini buses are non-existent. Also, motorbike travel is the common transport for short and longer distances - between villages, for example. Destinations are either too far for bicycle ride or too costly to ride in car. Also, it's just faster than cars. It seems improbable for 1 PCV to get her village and region to alter their normal mode of transport because of a policy for a distant organization - especially when the PCV is agreeable to this mode of transportation.

Mentally, having to be left behind on several occasions because of the current policy has been a disappointment. For example, we are doing literacy outreach with nearby villages where CH is establishing libraries in the schools and I have been unable to attend these outreach meetings even though it is a part of my job here. It would be highly inefficient, cost-wise, to request they go in a vehicle, especially when I am not compensated enough to pay for that. When the difference in price by car ($35,000/ $175USD) to hired motorbike ($13,000/ $65USD) from my village to Lethem is so great, it proves the same with similar trips. Transportation overall has been the source of stress in the past 6 months, for sure.

Emotionally, I'm sure I cannot adequately envision the bliss of actually riding on a motorbike through the savanna or jungle of Guyana. I've ridden on motorbikes back in the States and it is enjoyable and quite a thrill, and I can only imagine the experience through my region's terrain. I understand the risk that is involved with riding a motorbike, and were the choice entirely in my hands, I would only ride with those I fully trusted - which are few in numbers. However, even with that statement, I have learned that most people begin driving and riding at a very early age down here and are quite competent in maneuvering a motorbike. Lastly, while acknowledging that Peace Corps has my best interests at heart, I would gain an additional emotional benefit, one of knowing I have the power to make my own decisions in regards to this opportunity. If Peace Corps concern is liability, couldn't a waiver be signed for those interested in using this mode of transportation? Peace Corps' have a valid concern with PCVs' safety, however certain restrictions such as this one tend to make PCV's feel a little less adult-like, which is ironic, since all volunteers are college graduates and (theoretically) more intelligent/mature than many others of our peers.

Thank you for listening!

Sarah <<<<<<<< The response? >Hi Sarah,
Thank you for such a comprehensive response. We will let you know if we make any progress on this front.<

Hmm. We'll see.

No comments: